The Slammers Academy provides a fun and challenging soccer experience for our younger players - ages U8 and U9. This program is for kids that are looking for more out of soccer than the current Mod program. Coaches will teach the players the technical skills that will provide the players with a solid soccer foundation. Your child will train with other motivated kids with similar abilities in a positive environment for soccer so that individual and team development can be accelerated. The Slammers Academy players will have an enhanced opportunity to graduate into our older competitive Rainier Valley Slammers teams. The Academy will also create a solid foundation that will enhance your child’s passion for the game of soccer! Click here to see what a parent has to say about our Academy Program.
The Rainier Valley Slammers are one family committed to excellence at all ages. The junior academy’s vision and purpose is a crucial part to the overall success of the club. RVS is committed to reaching out to its youth, as we know that they are the future of the Rainier Valley Slammers and US Youth Soccer. It is important that through our academy process we start developing players at a young age and teaching them proper technical and mental skills that will set them up for success in the future. We are committed to give each player within AYSA and RVS a proper start to their soccer career and a great love for the game!
The Academy is a 10 to 11 month program. “Try outs” are held in late April or early May. Teams will play in 2 summer tournaments. League play starts in September and goes into early December. In December some teams may take almost a month break. Practices will resume in January if a break is taken and then league starts again from late January through March. Practices usually runs an hour long twice a week and games areonce a week or twice every other week depending on the league. We do not have 1st, 2nd and 3rd teams, instead the coaches will make the teams even and may switch players around from week to week in order to build stronger players, players that are diverse and are able to play with lots of different teammates. In some cases a U-9 "hybrid team" will be formed for competitive reasons to support player development.
- Foundational Skills: The game of soccer has complex foundational skills that need to be mastered by all players. In the junior program, our main goal is to teach foundational skills to our players in hopes for a solid start to a long playing career.
- Parent education: The junior program also looks to educate parents on the foundational skills and vision of the Slammers program.
- Build a LOVE for the game: The junior program also looks to create and sustain a love for the game that lasts a lifetime.
- The junior academy consists of players from 7 to 10 years old.
- There are two groups within the junior slammers system (U-8 & U-9)
- The main focus of the junior system is individual player development
- The curriculum taught to our junior Slammers was development by California Slammers and the junior academy director
- Rainier Valley Slammers offers and fall and spring league for our players
- Teams compete against other local RCL clubs
- Fall season runs from tryouts in May to mid-November. The players will take a winter break and start back up training in January. Spring season will kick-off in March.
- We DO NOT care about wins or loses.
- We DO NOT care about the score.
- We want our junior Slammers to use what they have learned in training, in their games.
- We want our kids to learn how to compete.
- Create creative and confident players within all 1v1 situations and give them all the tools to help solve these situations
- Train players to master ball control
- Help players gain a solid foundation on passing
- Teach players to receive and turn with the ball
- Players will learn to master 1V1 situations in all 3 aspects; 2V1 situations and 2V2 situations.
- Players will learn how to be a Slammer.
- Players will work on setting personal goals.
- Junior Slammers will learn how to be a teammate and how to function within a team.
- Players will learn how to solve problems individually and solve problems as a team through game situations.
- Junior slammers will learn how to respect the game, teammates, referees and the other team.
- Slammers play in a 6V6 league.
- Size 4 ball. -2-20 minute halves.
- 6X12 goals.
Each player will have a player assessment after the fall and spring season to note the development of the player and the areas of focus moving forward.
Approximately $600.00 with a $150.00 auction opt out, price includes a uniform kit